Professor, Takeo Fujiwara, MD, PhD, MPH
Lecturer, Masashi Kizuki, MD, MPH, PhD
Assistant Professor, Ayako Morita, MSc, PhD
Contact person: Professor Takeo Fujiwara
Lectures will mainly take place in rooms of the Department of Global Health Promotion. Special lectures will be held in auditoriums. For practices and labs, please confirm venue with the instructors.
3. Course Purpose and Outline
The purpose of this course is to develop the knowledge and skills of the participants to prevent diseases. Participants will: understand broad risk factors from indiviual factors (e.g., genetic factor) and environmental factors, especially social detrerminants, their inter actions; make causal inference applying a life-course perspective on diseease onset (e.g., long-term effect of fetus or childhood exposure); perform advanced statstics; acquire attitudes toward social contribution through writeing and publishing scientific papers in international journals. The final goal is that the participants are able to plan and implement health policy or preogran to prevent diseases in a real life setting.
4. Course Objective(s)
The participants will be able to:
- verbalize own research question and develop a hypothesis to test it.
- develop research field or access secondary data to test the hypothesis.
- explain an epidemiologic study design.
- calculate a sample size.
- analyse basic model (multivariate analysis, logistic analysis, etc) and conduct adnvaced analysis (multilevel analysis, propensity score moathcing, multiple imputation, etc)
- justify the research question logically, in scientific writing in English.
- develop an intervention (policy or program) and design a study protocol to assess its effectiveness.
Lectures, group discussions, and team project. English is used iｆ needed
6. Course Description and Timetable
Please check with facualities in charge for the program.
- Basics of epidemiology and biostatistics
- Statistical analysis including basics and high-level
- Critical appraisal for recent important papers to generate new
Regular Lecture, Wednesday, 9:00-10:00
Journal club, Wednesday, 12:00-13:00
Special Lecture, To be announced
- Learn how to handle statistical software (STATA), using real data.
- Participate in an epidemiological study in the field (wherever in Japan or elsewhere)
- Report research progress and discuss how to proceed an epidemiological study
Research meeting, Wednesday, 13:30-15:00
Analysis learning, to be announced
Field study, to be announced
Implement field study or analyze secondary data to deal with your research question, and write papers. Report research progress and discuss to brush up the study.
Research meeting, Wednesday, 13:30-15:00
Analysis lab: to be announced
Field study :to be announced
7. Grading System
Grades are based on participation at lectures, practices, and field studies; performances in the projects; and levels of attitude, skills and knowledge on analysis, and paper writing, as professional of public health field.
8. Prerequisite Reading
Participants are expected to read materials distributed beforehand. For practice and lab, tasks will be given based on the progress.
9. Reference Materials
“Lisa F. Berkman, Ichiro Kawachi, Maria Glymour. Social epidmeiology. 2nd ed. USA: Oxford University Press; 2014.
Richard A. Crosby, Ralph J. DiClemente, Laura F. Salazar. Research methods in health promotion. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Public Health; 2006.
Marcello Pagano, Kimberlee Gauvreau. Principles of Biostatistics. 2nd ed. Brooks/Cole; 2000.
10. Important Course Requirements
Participants are required to have own research question.
Instructor’s permission are required before course registration
11.Lectures in English
Lectures will be partially conducted in English.
12. Office Hour
13. Note(s) to students
This course will offer options depending upon the need of each individual situation, such as working during daytime on weekdays.
Havard School of Public Health joint rsearch program will be offered.
Research field can be domestic (i.e. in Japan) or global.
Students with any prior background(medicine, dentistry, nutrition, nursing, economics, education, etc) is welcome.
- MPH（The Master of Public Health in Global Health course）
- (日本語) 医学科１年 「医学導入 Medical Introductory Course」
- (日本語) 医学科３年 「社会医学」（科目責任者）
- (日本語) 医学科３年 「公衆衛生学」（科目責任者）
- (日本語) 医学科４年 「公衆衛生学実習」（科目責任者）
- (日本語) 医学科６年 「包括医療統合教育」
- (日本語) 歯学部歯学科２年「行動科学基礎」
- (日本語) 保健衛生学科２年 「公衆衛生学講義」
- (日本語) 修士課程（医歯理工学専攻） 「環境社会医歯学」
- (日本語) 博士課程（生命理工医療科学専攻）「国際動向持論」
- Public Health
- (日本語) 博士課程（医歯学系専攻） 「疾患予防パブリックヘルス医学概論」
- (日本語) 博士課程（共同災害看護学専攻） 「グローバルヘルスと政策」