Environmental health (the physical environment and climate change)
We are linking primary data collected from municipalities in Niigata and Miyagi prefectures to JAGES (Japan Gerontological Evaluation Study) and GIS data in order to assess the health impact of the physical environment (access to parks, pathways and grocery stores) on the prevalence of diabetes mellitus in the elderly and their cognitive function.
Using global and planetary health perspectives, we are also researching the health impact of climate change.
- Social epidemiology (the impact of social inequality and social capital on health)
- Life-course epidemiology (the long term impact of parenting and the environment on prenatal to early childhood health including international comparative studies)
- Child maltreatment (abusive head trauma/shaken baby syndrome)
- Mental health (maternal pre- and postnatal mental health, mental health after a disaster, and child mental health)
- Nutritional epidemiology （childhood nutrition from prenatal to early school-years and the food environment）
- Environmental health (the physical environment and climate change)
- Occupational health (harassment and work-place social capital)